While being developed by a collective (ossia) of independent artists, engineers and researchers, ossia score lays on specifications produced by the i-score research project, which has been led by LaBRI (with several academic, industrial and artistic partners) for about 20 years, in order to devise new models and applications for designing and executing interactive scores, first for musical composition only with Boxes, and IScore.
Intermedia/multimedia support has then been added from 2008 on with the Virage research project, and then with the i-score sequencer.
Following the OSSIA research project (between 2012 and 2015), a new version of the sequencer has been implemented by Jean-Michaël Celerier, as part of his PhD, by basing it on an autonomous library. This endeavour has been joined by several artists and developers, formed as the ossia collective, and hence the sequencer has been baptized ossia score, and its underlying library libossia. They are both available on github, and documented on ossia.io
For more details on i-score‘s family tree and research process, an “inheritence graph” is available at the end of this page.
Below are articles that were published in various conferences, as well as Ph. D dissertations whose subject was in relation with i-score:
- Leveraging domain-specific languages in an interactive score system, By JM. Celerier, @JSSA regular meeting
- i-Berlioz: Interactive Computer-Aided Orchestration with Temporal Control, By E. Miranda et al., @ICNMC2018
- Generating Orchestral Sequences with Timbral Descriptors, By A. Antoine et al., @TIMBRE2018
- Extending dataflows with temporal graphs, By JM. Celerier et al. @ICMC2017
- Exécution répartie de scénarios interactifs, By JM. Celerier et al. @JIM2017
- Authoring and automatic verification of interactive multimedia scores, By J.Arias et al. In Journal of New Music Research.
- Graphical Temporal Structured Programming for Interactive Music, By JM. Celerier et al. @ICMC2016
- Rethinking the audio workstation: tree-based sequencing with i-score and the LibAudioStream, By JM. Celerier et al. @SMC2016
- Automatic Construction of Interactive Machine Improvisation Scenarios from Audio Recordings, By J. Arias et al. @MUME2016
- Présentation d’un formalisme graphique pour l’écriture de scénarios interactifs, By T. de la Hogue et al. @JIM2016
- Outils d’écriture spatiale pour les partitions interactives, by JM. Celerier et al. @JIM2016
- Sémantique Formelle et Vérification Automatique de Scénarios Hiérarchiques Multimédia avec des Choix Interactifs, Ph. D thesis, J. Arias.
- Le séquenceur interactif multimédia i-score, by J. Arias et al. @JDEV2015
- Foundations for Reliable and Flexible Interactive Multimedia Scores, by J. Arias et al. @MCM2015
- Exploiting Parallelism in FPGAs for the Real-Time Interpretation of Interactive Multimedia Score, by J. Arias et al. @JIM2015
- A Framework for Composition, Verification and Real-Time Performance of Multimedia Interactive Scenarios, by J. Arias et al. @ACSD2015
- OSSIA : Towards a unified interface for scoring time and interaction, by JM. Celerier et al. @TENOR2015
- Modelling Data Processing for Interactive Scores Using Coloured Petri Nets, by J. Arias et al. @ACSD2014
- Executing Hierarchical Interactive Scores in ReactiveML, by J. Arias et al. @JIM2014
- OSSIA : Open Scenario System for Interactive Applications, (FR) by T. de la Hogue et al. @JIM2014
- i-score, an Interactive Sequencer for the Intermedia Arts by P. Baltazar et al. @ICMC2014
- An Extension of Interactive Scores for Multimedia Scenarios with Temporal Relations for Micro and Macro Controls, by M. Toro-Bermudez et al. @SMC2012
- Real-Time Temporal Control of Musical Processes, by R.Marczak et al. @NMEDIA11
- A Model for Interactive Scores with Temporal Constraints and Conditional Branching, by M. Toro-Bermudez et al. @JIM2010
- Concurrent Constraint Conditional Branching Interactive Scores, by M. Toro-Bermudez et al. @SMC2010
- Virage, designing an interactive intermedia sequencer from users requirements and theoretical background, by A. Allombert et al., @ICMC 2010 – long version
- Virage : une réflexion pluridisciplinaire autour du temps dans la création numérique, by P. Baltazar et al., @JIM 2009
NB : Virage is a intermedia sequencer. It can be considered as a prototype from which i-score has been inspired.
- Aspects temporels d’un système de partitions musicales interactives pour la composition et l’exécution, by A. Allombert PhD. Thesis – Abstract
- A system for writing interaction, by A. Allombert et al. @DIMEA2008
- A system of Interactive Scores based on qualitative and quantitative temporal constraints, by A. Allombert et al. @Artech2008
- De Boxes à IScore : vers une écriture de l’interaction, by A. Allombert et al. (in French), published at JIM 2008
- A system of interactive scores based on Petri nets, by A. Allombert et al. @SMC07
- Concurrent Constraints Models for Interactive Scores, by A. Allombert et al. @SMC06
- A Model for specifying temporal relations between interactive and static events, by M. Desainte-Catherine et al. @Journal of New Music Research
- Specification of Temporal Relations Between Interactive Events, by M. Desainte-Catherine et al. @SMC04
- Boxes, un logiciel pour la composition musicale combinant modèle spectral, structures hiérarchiques et constraintes, by A. Beurivé (in French)
i-score’s family tree graph :